Thursday, June 14, 2007

I was listening to a song...

...in my car recently. It's a worship song that, literally, never fails to touch my heart. I think it's because it so purely and reverently comes back to the cry of my heart and life. The chorus goes like this:

"Praise the name of Jesus.
Praise the name of Jesus.
He's my rock.
He's my fortress.
He's my deliverer.
In Him, will I trust.
So praise the name of Jesus."

And though I love that chorus, my heart lifting inside my chest, hands almost impulsively reaching into the air, in the version that I listen to the main speaker interjects with a powerful declaration as the music changes keys. The result is an even tighter constriction on my heart and tears that steal to my eyes. The singer reminds me:

"The most powerful name: Jesus."

And then the choir sways back into the chorus a key-change higher.

It is an utterly simple song of unabashed praise to Jesus. Whether or not I am in the pit of despair or soaring in the sunshine, this song never fails to remind me of this incredible Lord that I serve. Jesus.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dulcinator said...

isnt it beautiful when we can find songs like that? songs that still us in our rushed lives regardless of the importance of what we are doing and draw us into the presence of the Most High. i have many of those myself. i am glad you have some. we all need them. music is spiritual and, when it is combined with Scripture, heavenly.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home