Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Are you REALLY willing to be alone?

It's a relevant question.

I have really been alone this year. I mean, the absence of the physical presence of friends/loved ones. I haven't just talked about it.

Could you really be alone for a while? What about a long time? Could I? I believe that I could, I just wouldn't want to know ahead of time that that would be my life. :) Just 9 months isn't too bad, but it's a heck of a lot harder than I thought. You wouldn't undertand unless you did something similar.

What if I end up being single the rest of my life? Could I still serve God, love Him, and not get sucked into a guilt-ridden, bitter-attitude toward Him because I'm "alone?" Ashley, get over it. Sex is not that big of a deal. At least, it's not worth life or death.

It's frustrating to hear of Christians in America who place so much emphasis on getting what they want. As though us getting what we want is the qualifying factor of Christianity. Hah. I would posit that such faith actually utterly misses the mark of what it means to be a Christian. We live in this world, but are not of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ash,

I agree that "getting what we want" is absolutely not the point of Christianity. But God, who made us and knows us better than we even know ourselves, knows what type of environment in which we will be best able to function, serve him, and help others. During my single days, (which were very lonely times for me, and very emotionally difficult) I often prayed for God to either help me find a good man or change the desires of my heart. How can we happily serve him without having our deepest desires met? (And I am not even TALKING about sex, I mean just plain companionship!) I don't think that God is so unfair that he would make us a certain way then put that dream out of our reach. I guess it comes down to God not giving us more (or less!) than we can handle.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Ash said...

Very true!

In my life, I have had to come to a point where I was willing to say, "Lord, I trust you know matter what--even if different desires aren't fulfilled as I wanted."

I very much agree, however, that He is good and wants good things for us! And for most people--that means companionship! I don't at ALL want to be alone. But I am willing (teeth gritted...). :) Plus, it may be that I get married soon, have a family, etc, then when I'm old end up being alone. It might not be soon, when "singleness" comes a-ringing, but I hope to have an attitude of joy even in those times. Boy. I'm glad God is my strength.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ash,

I have never handled the hard times in my life with much grace. I hope that the next time the $%&*% hits the fan (and it surely will) that I am able to step up.

One thing I do wish is that I hadn't been an athiest for so long. People who have had faith for their whole lives are really at an advantage. Even now, after being Christian for about 9 years, asking God for help in times of trouble is an afterthought, after I have wallowed around in my own mess for a long time.... LOL!

You have a great attitude. I think you are very blessed.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home