Saturday, May 12, 2007

And then...

So my journey is tough.

I wrote the psalm below early today, and then I embarked on a grand journey outside at the park. Nobody was around, the sun shone brilliantly on my white skin, and the storm clouds raced in in the distance.

I am battling. The shofar blew.

My faith is dwindling. Catch it, Jesus. Catch me.

An incredibly important thing that I learned in my talk/prayertime/cry to God in the park was...

My lack of faith resides in the fact that, slowly, my thirst for God has been drying up. My hunger for His Word: fading. It didn't happen all at once, but slowly. So slowly that I have been walking around a lame, starving woman for long enough that I didn't even realize it until my life began to hold no joy. Because my thirst and hunger were dying, I didn't even FEEL like I needed Him. Instead, anger and bitterness, jealousy and rage, began to take the places of sweetness, joy, and patience in my heart.

I don't like that person I have been slowly becoming.

So the shofar blew. The war of decision waged in my mind. Would I choose to remain obedient, or act out in my starvation by filling it with what my flesh wants in my own timing? Would I choose to confess Jesus as Lord of my life? As Lord?

Would the delude of doubt flooding through my thoughts and infecting my words break forth and dominate me? Would I look back and be turned into a pillar of salt? A pillar of nothing but dust, with no depth or shape or meaning?

I cried out. Instead of continuing to hold back the emotions, the pain, the frustration, I let them free in speaking with God. I was real with Him. Aren't we supposed to be?

And when I was finished, all of my strength was gone. Nothing left. Just a lone woman, sitting on a blanket in an empty park, with my knees pulled up and arms wrapped around them, hair blowing in the wind--vulnerable, weak, empty. But so desperately hoping. WANTING Him to ride in and deliver me. O God, SAVE ME.

So I surrendered my life. I confessed it again. In faith--believing without seeing. I have several Scripture verses memorized, so I spoke some of them aloud, to the wind, to God who inclines His ear to me, believing that if He said it, He will do it: "Draw near to me, and I will draw near to you." So I made every effort to draw near to Him, coming just as I am, and believed he would likewise fulfill His end of that Scripture.

I did not have, what I like to call, a "see-the-light" moment where I was overcome by the presence of God and KNEW He was there. Instead, I asked for Him to begin to show me about Himself. About his peace, about his grace, about his love. That He is loving. And that I am His beloved. As my boyfriend loves me...well...God loves me more. As my parents love me, God loves me more.

And thus, here I sit writing you the story of my day. The journey of my day. I'm exhausted. Things aren't perfect now, but in confessing out loud that: "I WILL be faithful to God, in whom resides my hope for salvation through His risen Son Jesus Christ," I am better. I must not allow my hunger and thirst for Him to dry up. Because if it does, then that's all that will be left: a dry, barren wasteland. But I, Ashley, am not created to be a dry, barren wasteland. I'm created to be filled to the overflowing with life. To radiate the Son. To radiate warmth, hope, joy, and love--life that is not just around me, but INSIDE me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tania said...

Ash, I know this is way to late to reply, but . . . this is beautiful. I don't know if you're like me and I just read comments really quickly - especially if the post is really old and I don't remember it. But could you do me a favor? Could you read what you wrote again. I know that sounds so stupid because hello! You wrote it.
But its so beautiful. I know that you wrote this in a time of vulnerability and a time that you wouldn't call "prime-time with el Abba." But, I love what you wrote not just because its beautiful and well written, but because it shows a trend in our (generally followers of Christ) walk with him. I love that you wrote a psalm. And I love that you're feeling better about your relationship right now because it's just like David. I love that regardless of the deepest and miry pits of clay (even if that isn't what you were going through), your faith is as strong, if not stronger (which is what I would argue), as any other time.

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home