Thursday, May 03, 2007

Dust mites in your bed???

It's true, you have thousands of dust mites in your bed. Yep. Every time you go to curl up in your nice warm covers, you're curling up with thousands of miniscule little buggies. Eew. I'm getting the jeebies.

Besides the fact that I hate bugs (well, hate is a strong word. I just hate when they are near me. I know they're crucial to the environment and all that, you know, REALISTIC stuff, but ick), bugs are also incredibly scary. Yes, that's right, I said scary. They creep and crawl, bursting around corners unexpectedly, dropping stealthily from ceilings, jumping at you for no reason. HORRIFYING!

But you know what? I do like a few bugs. I say like. Not love. I still have a respectful fear of the little creeps.

The following bugs are those that I like (and my reasons behind this tentative "likeness"):

1. Butterflies. They're pretty, of course. I'm a girl, did you really expect another bug to be first on my list? :)
2. Lady bugs. They're cute. Except one did pee in my mouth when I was riding my bike as a child. That was gross.
3. Potato bugs. They don't move that fast and they curl up when they're scared. Me too.
4. Lightning bugs. So cool.
5. Worms. I don't know...they can't bite, they can't move that fast, and they are sorta helpless. My motherly instinct almost kick-in when I see one.
6. Dust mites. Yep, it's true, they're on my list. Why? Because if we didn't have these little buggars in our beds, the little flakes of skin that rub off when we sleep would be in heaping PILES in our sheets and mattresses. That is even sicker than the mites. (fyi, what made me think of these dust mites is the fact that I got a sunburn this past weekend and it is now healing. Of course, with healing sunburns comes peeling of white flaky skin. I hate flaky skin with a passion. So, I'm especially thankful that these small bugs eat my dead skin flakes. Yes, I'm sorry, once again: SO GROSS.)

Toodles. Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite.

(By the way, "bed bugs" are not dust mites. They are little red bugs that are incredibly nasty. They really do exist. But hopefully...just not in your bed.)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am phobic of bugs!!! I almost fell off the Grand Canyon running away from a tree full of wasps on steroids. THey were like 3 times the size of normal wasps, with tails that were black, then red, then white at the very tip. SCARY!!!

I agree with your list about bugs that are ok! LOL Coccinella novemnotata is actually the genus and species of ladybug commonly found in the Northeast! I didn't know that about dust mites.... EWWWW....

8:45 AM  
Blogger AngiLove said...

I'm allergic to spiders and just about every bug that bits. My husband is always amazed at these huge welts that I get from tiny little bug bits. I think you forgot my favorite bug though, dragonflies. Once in the summer on 2003 I was reading on my balcony and this really glorious green dragonfly came and kind of hung out with me for a few minutes. I think lady bugs are considered a sign of luck in sone cultures, too. There was one in the bedroom or my husband's and my apartment on the day we moved in.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ladybugs are TOTALLY a sign of good luck! I read that they were named during the middle ages, when they were considered so beneficial to agriculture that they were thought to be a gift from the virgin Mary. (Ladybird beetle). My only tattoo is a ladybug, on my left hip.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home