Thursday, April 26, 2007

Phenomenal flashbacks

My time here in Colorado is coming to an end quickly. Three weeks left and I will leave this part of my life behind. I honestly never thought it could get here fast enough. But tonight almost made me change my mind. Almost.

It is thunderstorm season in the plains this time of year--early to mid spring. And with it comes some of the most incredible, and unpredictable, forecasts you're never expecting. I will have to take some pictures.

Tonight I went for a jog around town (yes, it takes me about 20 minutes to JOG around town, that's how small it is) because I was enlivened by the tumultuous weather. Rain pelted me earlier in the day. And it was no light mist either, like Seattle experiences--the kind where you don't need an umbrella. Within the course of a few seconds, my shoulders were practically soaking. That's what you call a downpour. Nevertheless, I decided to bare the weather--rain or not.

My jog quickly turned into a walk, however, as I chose to venture into unknown territoy--always a slightly scary and empowering adventure. I was going to walk out into the country on a country road instead of taking the main streets, like I usually do. Why? you might ask. Because that is where the clouds were, and where I wanted to fly away to. Here the reminiscing began.

First, the most powerful memory-stirrer: scent.

It smelled like my grandma and poppy's house out in the country in Yakima, from when I was a little girl. I haven't smelled that smell in years--the smell of barn. Of cats and evaporated milk. Of wet hay. Of open fields. Intoxicating. Addicting.

Second, a most powerful reminder of God's awesome glory: nature.

The dark grey clouds came rolling in from the north, while rain showers of a lighter grey color, looking like a soft blanket falling from the heavens to the horizon, cascaded slowly toward me from the west. Thunder began to rumble slightly. The breeze picked up. I started walking back.

I hadn't walked far when I stopped--only a few houses and farms in the distance. No cars. Brown field lay before me, empty crossroads stretched in either direction, a few large jackrabbits chased each other, and bright green grass lit up the land behind me. Closing my eyes, I stretched out my arms and breathed in the cool, rain-smelling air. And then I heard it. The wind picked up and was now sailing through the limbs of the tall trees, which are just beginning to bud with new young life. Astounding. My heart is soaring. I am flying.

Oh God. How magnificent you are. And how small I am. The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it. He is mighty, to be praised.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How totally awesome!!! Nature always makes me feel closer to God too.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for your last post and the kind words! :) I think you are right - there are many good and bad examples of interpersonal relationships in the bible for us to learn from. It really is a very human book.

I wish you the best of luck with your move and your relationship. 22.... wow. That seems like a lifetime ago to me (in reality it is only about 9 years LOL). I
I think that you are really on the right track. You are already starting on your doctorate, and you seem to have your head on straight. ;)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Ash,
Once again I love the way that you play with words. Your descriptions of the country road and the rainstorm seem so real to me. I can't wait to see you when you get back! Enjoy the rain and the amazing lightening storms, when you can! Love you!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Dulcinator said...

hmm...a simple scent can trigger such strong memories that we hold so dear to us. thank you for sharing. i feel like you wrote a 21st Century psalm. it makes me wamt to stroll outdoors, smell the cherry blossoms, take off my flip flops and run through the grass by the hospital. but, i would be a lone small woman, defenseless in the city. arg. praise God for the safety of the small town you have!

11:04 PM  
Blogger AngiLove said...

You remind me of me when I was a teenager. Believe it or not I was about as devoted as a Christian can be at one point. How long have you been a Christian? Were you born into a Christian family or did you pick it up somewhere along the way?

6:25 AM  
Blogger AngiLove said...

PS. Are aware of a Christian singer named Rebecca St. James? I think I might have had one of her cd's back in the day when I was a Christian. In case you don't know her big thing is abstinence before marriage (I would be interested to know your position on that) but apparently she is dating Angelina Jolie's brother, the same brother who is famous for making out with his sister at the Oscars and being into BDSM. I was really shocked by this b/c I can't imagine two more mismatched people. Had you heard about this, and what are Christians saying about it?

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home