Thursday, September 14, 2006

So friendly...

It is crazy. I just got some take-out Chinese food from a local family restaurant and saw a young family eating there. As I waited for my food, I sneakily observed the family--a younger couple with 2 children, a girl about 2 and a boy about 7. The boy was the most polite, sweet child one could ask to see. His sister spilled her water, he rushed to clean it up. He threw away the wet napkin and sweetly said "Hello" to me. He said "thank you" to waiter. He opened the door for his mom. He smiled and said "thank you" to his dad for dinner as they were leaving.

I was astonished, and so very happy at heart to see this beautiful child who radiated some kind of joy and light. I wanted to be like him.

Though it's Florida, this town is such a mix between country and mid-upper city life. It's mostly country...and SO laid back. I do not speed here. I wait behind slow cars. People say "hi" even if they don't know you.

Oh, and more and more, I am falling in love with these children. Middle school age is fantastic, especially 6th and 7th grade. They are young enough not to be too harassed by the world, and old enough to have a mostly adult converstation with. Oh. And they are usually the easiest people to compliment.

I am going to go eat my Chinese, watch Friends, and think about how I can live like that child.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dulcinator said...

truly nice and well-behaved kids are so often few and far between these days. take the preschool i worked at...over 100 kids and i can think of a handful that were consistently genuinely well-mannered and tender-hearted. i want some of them kids when i have my own.

way to people watch too! that's fun to do and soak in when you are on your own and cant dig into a conversation with people.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home