Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Aloha. Oh wait, I'm not in Hawai'i!

Hello friends, it's true. I'm not in Hawai'i, but it's just as stinking humid here in sunny Florida! I am saying hello from Brooksville, FL a "small" town located just north of Tampa Bay by about 40 miles. It has been a blast so far...just finished my first day of work/training.

But a little about the funny adventure. Really. It was hilarious.

My flights were fine (just one layover that went from lasting 45minutes to about 2 hours). Sad to say, I am a drooler. I can't help it. I love take-off and landing. Take-off has so much power that it makes me feel like a silly school girl I'm so excited. Landing, I am just praying that we don't crash. But during flight? Ahhh...my FAVORITE. Nausea hits first, then a little bit of a pounding headache. Lastly, the effects that linger days after the flight. But I am thankful to say that I successfully flew on 9/11, 5 years after the tragedy. I am alive. But it made me much more conscious of those who died.

Getting my rental car. Now that was interesting. My first time...and it was a little nerve-wracking, but I managed.

The drive from 9-10pm in the dark from Tampa to Brooksville with size 8 font directions. Now THAT was interesting. I think I wanted to cuss many a time (I didn't). But I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that, because I was smart enough to travel with NO cash on me, the highway I traversed was a toll road. For those of you Northwesterners like myself who haven't traveled on such a road, bring change. Lots of it. I wrote 4 checks for $1.00 or less. Yep, it was awesome. And the last toll was .25. It was my last quarter. I stopped a few feet from the deposit for the toll, so I gave my quarter a little toss. Mind you, it was about 9:45pm. I missed the deposit and heard the **** quarter hit the ground and roll away. "Are you kidding me?" I shrieked in livid frustration. I opened my car door, searched for the quarter, couldn't find it, and salvaged the remaining .25 from nickels and dimes.

And then I got in my car and drove to the hotel. I am alive. :) Oh, and my shower was cold this morning!

But work was awesome today. Seriously, I am SO excited to be doing what I'm doing. A little nervous still, but excited. Oh, and I have blisters on both heels from walking so much. The lady I shadowed today is awesome. Her name is Lisa (she's in her early 30s or so), and she and I get along well. I hope to take some pictures of the scenery, and maybe see a gator or two. I guess Florida is known for its gators. Maybe I'll even wrassle one.

Honestly, through all the little things that were somewhat stretching, if this is part of what it's like to do something for other people, I am SO stoked. I just want to honor the Lord.

Oh, and I miss you guys!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dulcinator said...

seriously, toll booths are awful. i know they give money to better the roads, but the roads dont usually them seem that much better. i wonder though, do they cut down on traffic by providing more money for the roads to be widened and other forms of transportation to be made more effective. cause if they cut down on traffic, they might be worth having in the Northwest even with the hassle of keeping quarters around.

dont forget to wrassle a gator before you return in two days!

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home