Saturday, December 01, 2007

Thoughtful ramblings

I had a most incredible time of insight into the book of Hebrews last night. If you're interested in reading the humble ramblings of a white, idealist woman, then please continue reading. If not, stop before you're bored. For those who dare to continue reading, I must then know your thoughts.

It happened while reading Hebrews 10. I won't bother you by writing out the chapter, but I'd recommend reading it later. Chapters 8, 9, and 10 talk about how Christ became our high priest. You probably already know this, but here's stating the facts: In Jewish practice, the high priest offered yearly sacrifices for the sins of people. In Christian belief, Christ became our offering and was sacrificed once for all. Yes, many Christians already know this. But here was my insight: We no longer have to continue making offerings for our sins like they did in the olden days because we really are saved when we confess Jesus as Lord and Savior! Wow - you might say, DUH! But whoa, it really began to sink in for me after reading these few chapters. Simple as that. "...because by one sarifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy" (10:14). Later in chapter 10, the author goes on to describe how we musn't waver in our confidence. Some have translated that to mean not to doubt in Christ. I think the emphasis may be misplaced; I believe that the author means not to doubt in the fact that Christ's sacrifice was ONCE and for all.

I still sin. I find myself an imperfect woman. As a result, I struggle in receiving forgiveness - feeling as though I crucify Christ over and over again - but the Bible says it is impossible to do that (9.25-28)!!! That is what makes the idea of Christ as the sacrificial lamb stand out from the typical yearly offerings made by the high priests in Judaism. He made ONE offering: himself. And that one offering covered the span of all my sins. Oh. My. Word. Praise God.

2. My second revelation was different, and yet all wrapped up in the same context of Hebrews 10. Recently I read a book on personality types, trying to figure out how I am so different, how I can better relate to my soon-to-be-husband, and what personality "classes" means. The book said it: I am a Blue, an idealist. Essentially, hehe, I hope. Everything in my life comes down to the belief of hope. No situation is too dismal, no circumstance too impossible, no person too far removed. Interesting enough, the book goes on to say that a Blue person is "out of esteem" (or gets depressed/down) when his/her sense of hope is extinguished or extensively crushed.

That's true for me. I HAVE to hope. It is imperative to the life inside me.

Now, with that said. The Lord showed me something about hope. A challenge. I've always said that "hope" is my favorite thing, because without hope the world would be a bleak and dismal place. And yes, that is true. Last night, however, I was challenged to do something I'm not so good at. Faith.

Hope is easy for me. It's easy because it's something about which I can always say: "I'm not sure if it will happen, but I hope it will."

Faith is hard for me. It's hard because it's saying, "I don't just hope for it, I know it." Like: I don't just hope Christ saved me, I faith it. I know it. It's not just that mountain could move, or might move. It will - it did.

What he challenged me to have faith in is this statement: "He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6). He challenged me to believe it. Not just in my life, but in the lives of Christians around me - my Christian family and friends, Christians in my city, state, country, world - those who struggle with the burdens and temptations (even sins) of this world, but who ultimately have been perfected by the High Priest who sacrificed once for all. He will carry it on to completion...

Having received this truth, this knowledge of truth, I was also reminded of how imperative it is to apply that knowledge. "If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of truth, no sacrifice for sins is left..." (Hebrews 10.26). What a scary thought: no sacrifice for sins is left. Christ really is the One and only sacrifice for sins. He nullified the old covenant requirements (sacrificing yearly offerings for sins) but reinstated a fulfilled, new covenant: Himself, as mediator and atoner. He is the One.

2 Comments:

Blogger julz said...

ash,

it's beautiful. i totally understand when you write about not really "getting" the whole one for all forgivness feature that Christ extends to us. How are we ever to grasp that He died once and for all? It's beyond trippy-but I guess that's why He's God. Hebrews can be so heavy to me sometimes. There's so much truth (as in the whole Gospel, yes) but it never fails to make me think so much more. I think the wonderful thing about grace is that it truly is undeserved yet given with such joy from the Father. That's truth to be joyful about. And that's something to build your faith up with. Thanks for sharing my friend.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Dulcinator said...

ashley!! thank you for sharing it all, my deary. this is fascinating. i LOVE and am thrilled and inspired and enthused when the Bible makes us really think and then...dadadaaa...act! i am going to have to get back into Hebrews sometime soon. yippee. man, it's so much about hope, but also that faith to trust Him too. if we cant trust Him, then why would we bother to have faith? thank you for the challenges and for keeping us on the same page as you by sharing your life with us! i love you, i love you, i love you...what movie is that from? ;)

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home