Sunday, January 14, 2007

I love wind!

Currently, snow is falling outside, but the wind stirs the trees and disrupts the natural course of the falling flakes.

I love the wind, I must say.
Honestly, it used to annoy me the most. In Yakima, during spring, it is extremely windy. Not breezy. Windy. And it makes you cold; it gets right through your warm jacket into your bones.

But in the summer when I like to sunbathe outside, laying on my towel under the hot sun, I am completely aware of all the little things. My eyes are closed, but I see so much. The sound of my dogs running around and panting. The sound of birds chirping in the trees. Lawnmowers raging in the distance. Laughter from the neighborhood kids bubbling up. And I wait. The breeze comes. Just slightly. I would never notice it if I wasn't quiet, waiting. I feel it tickle the little hairs on my arms and legs, lift a few tendrils of my hair. Gently it cools my skin. First it is there, and then it moves on. If I open my eyes, green blades of grass hit my vision, and they too wave in the breeze. First that one, then this one. And then it's upon me. Now it's in the trees overhead, rustling the leaves. Without a hint of its destination, it moves on, causing effects.

Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit" (John 3.5-8).

Now, even if the wind makes me cold and causes my teeth to chatter, I have a respect and awe for it. It is one of the most mysterious, explained phenomena, in my opinion. Though there are a few negative comparisons (do not be blown back and forth in belief, etc.), I like it still. And the fact that Jesus drew a comparison between wind and the Spirit?...I love it even more. Even on cold, windy days like today. Perhaps especially.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dulcinator said...

wind is quite a phenomena. what i think about in scripture is where it talks about the Lord's voice being heard by some dude (who is it? elijah) and he listens for it in the weather, in the wind, etc., but only really hears it in the silence when the Lord whispers to him. we can listen intently to the soft rustling of the wind and even then not hear the Lord's voice. but it's there--in a whisper.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home