Thursday, January 04, 2007

Some thoughts this new year

My dad has been explaining to me a process of thinking that they teach at the hospital where he works. It is simply a positive way of thinking and of making goals become reality. This time of year, we all usually start thinking of those "new year's resolutions," but here is a different approach. A little more positive and realistic theory that should apply ALL year long!

Essentially, rather than simply saying "I want ... [fill in the blank]" we should envision ourself actually having already achieved. For example, rather than me saying, "I want to be walking in the Holy Spirit and knowledgeable of the Word of God," I should envision myself as such: "I am walking in the Holy Spirit and knowing the Scriptures." The difference between the two is, in the first description, the "I want," the wanting gives us an excuse not to. However, envisioning it as already true creates a tension that leads to action. If I envision myself as walking in the Spirit, but the reality of my life is not up to par, then this difference creates a ripple of tension or discontent because I am not taking the action to achieve my already envisioned goal.

Does that make sense? If not, I understand. It took my dad a little bit of explaining before I finally understood what he was really talking about.

And we can apply this kind of thinking to all areas of our lives. Spiritually, relationally, physically, financially, etc.

So here are a few goals I envision of myself:

1. I am walking in the Holy Spirit and knowledgeable of the Bible.
2. I am exercising regularly and eating healthy.
3. I am maintaining healthy relationships with my family and friends.
4. I am saving 3 months' worth of bills in my savings account for emergencies.
5. I am engaging in a LIVING relationship of prayer and worship with Jesus Christ.
6. I am honest in all things, no matter the cost.
7. I am saving money to make a down payment on a house.

I'm sure there will be more, but that's all I can think of.

Did you know that those who have been forgiven much, love much? I have been forgiven much.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dulcinator said...

i prefer to live life with that mode of thinking--visualizing and believing what we already should be and desire to be. some how if we live in that moment believing it has already happened, it is that much easier to achieve those goals.

ps- i dont do new year's resolutions because i like to make goals all year long, so i like that you talk about how we should do this year-round. yippee for goal setting. what would life be without it?

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home