Monday, December 11, 2006

Giving toys to children...

Slowly, the aide wheeled her into my room. The little girl with Down's Syndrome followed, a big smile on her face. Looking up from my preparations for class that afternoon, my heart skipped again with joy. My favorite girl in the world had come to visit!

They made their way around the tables to my desk in the back. A big grin lit up her entire face, and I couldn't help but match her smile with one of my own. Beautiful. Big brown eyes dancing.

"Hi, ---, it's good to see you!" I said to her, waiting about 7-10 seconds for her slurred reply. Behind her wheelchair, a hand waved at me in glee. "Hi..." was the slow reply.

Gathering my wits and my tongue that just gets all tied around them, I pulled out my stash of cool toys and presented it to the girls. "Would you each like to pick a toy to play with after school?" I asked. The one pulled out a whistle and tried to give it a "hoot." She smiled at the quiet whistling sound. She didn't give it much air.

I waited for the other. She looked at me, looked at the toys. I wasn't sure she wanted one. Until slowly she reached her hand up and plopped it into the black box. She can't control her hand and arm muscles very well, so she picked up about three toys. But her sights were set on the blue racecar. Placing it on her leg, the aide told the girls to say "thank you, Ashley." They both smiled at me and WOW. My heart is gone again just writing about it!

Last week the girl in the wheelchair was sick, I found out today. Last week I worried that her condition had worsened. Oh, miracle.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ash,
This comment has nothing to do with your post, I was just not sure how else to get ahold of you. I have read a couple of your postings on my sister-in-laws website, Angelinas World. I was curious about a post you put on how you did a lot of research and found that you ended up coming back to believing the bible was true. I was wondering if you would share some of your sources with me. I would really be interested in reading some of them. Maybe you could post some? I don't want to leave my email on your blog for obvious reasons....

Thanks for your time,
Sincerely,

AJ/ Erin

PS for some reason I can't log in with my google account now so I have to post "anonymously".

9:48 AM  
Blogger Ash said...

AJ/Erin,

Of course I would love to give you some sources. Please give me a few days to gather that information for you?

I do want to clarify, it was through all the course of my college career that I pondered the authenticity of the Bible. Many professors and other leaders aided me on my search. It wasn't so much a specific research goal to "prove the validity of the Bible" so much as it was I wanted to find proof that supported the authenticity of the Bible. I found many credible and not-so-credible sources. I hope the references I post will aid you! Some of the references will be those I personally researched, others that were referred to me.

P.S. I've been having the same problem with logging in with my blogger identity! :) No problem!

P.P.S. Where would you like me to post the references? I could do so on your blog or on my own.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Dulcinator said...

how sweet, ash. i am glad you can provide a little extra joy in those girls' lives. how precious they are. i cant wait to hear all of the stories and see your face and smile and hug you in less than a week. love you!

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home