Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Crazy story, crazier lawyer

I don't see anything wrong with being a lawyer. In fact, there is much appeal to me in this field. However, I'll leave the political/judicial branch to my more skilled friends (two come to mind).

It just kills me, however, how some lawyers do not seem to have any ethics or morals at all. I was reading the news and came across this horrific story of a disgusting serial murderer. And his defense attorney claims that this man is innocent. How could this attorney live with him/herself? I don't know. Praise God that He is judge and not me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Prince Phillip said...

I just wrote a long comment and it never posted!

Here's a summary:

The lawyer may simply be representing the charged person. Suppose you're a state appointed defender. You are assigned this guy. He says, "I'm innocent." Do you do your professional duty and represent him?

5:41 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

Why go into an area, even if it's for the state, when you KNOW, going into it, that you could potentially represent somebody like this man?

I don't care. There's no excuse, in my book. I'm just talking from the stand-point of career-decisions. I don't know why a person would intentially put themself into a place where they would represent such atrocity.

Though...I do understand your point. If we are a democratic nation, and say that everyone's "innocent until proven guilty" then we "should" provide for those who can't otherwise afford it themselves, a representative attorney in his/her defense.

I'm simply noting that it is an extreme conflict of morals. I don't know if it's possible to do, if you are a state-appointed defender, but I would refuse his case.

That's my reply. I would refuse the case.

Sorry that your comment didn't post.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Prince Phillip said...

I'd represent him if I knew the state attorney had a good case against him.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

Actually, I believe (I might be wrong) that by principle if any attorney knows that their client is guilty and continues to plead innocence cannot represent him - it's just a matter of what the attorney believes.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home