Sunday, January 21, 2007

Bunko night!

Currently, I once again am snowed into my apartment. I woke up to find over 5 new inches of snow on my front walkway. So I'm eating Lays chips with zesty guacamole dip, and pondering the events from the previous night. Yes, it's true, I played Bunko.

You may have never heard of this game, but there is NO skill involved. Anybody can play, as long as you bring a $5 bill, a $1 bill, and have arms with which to roll dice.

The game itself was, well, okay. Personally, I usually love games, but this game involves NO skill, as I said before. I like games of skill. Where you either excel or fail. In Bunko, you do neither. You are either "lucky" or not. I was not lucky last night.

But it was not the game that I wish to describe to you, it was the company.

I played with 11 women between the ages of 30 and 50. All were married, except for one (and I assumed she was either widowed or divorced). All had children except for one. And...all got extremely intoxicated.

Perhaps, I have not felt more out of place in my life.

Middle-aged drunk women talk primarly about three things, with profanities thrown everywhere.
1. Sex (and ALL that that entails)
2. Children
3. Sex

I don't even know how many dirty jokes I heard. AAAHHH!

It was an interesting night. I wouldn't call it fun, but I learned something about those women that, I'm sure had they been sober, they would never have talked about. I was saddened and realize that these women do not hope in anything but themselves--how they relate to their husbands, how they raise their children, how they work--it's all on them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Prince Phillip said...

My Aunt does Bunko with the ladies from church. She loves it. Aren't there different tables and you move around based on whether or not you won? I'll just look it up on wikipedia.com

It's probably similar in content as men sitting around drinking beer and watching football.

You need to teach me some card games that you can whip me at... so I can practive humility and finger/mind dexterity. :)

4:58 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine . . .

I know, super lame, but when I come across the same situation (minus the Bunko and intoxicated women), this is the only solution I can think of.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Dulcinator said...

it is also probably similar to men sitting around drinking beer and playing poker. yes.

ashley, i am so glad that you had that opportunity to be a part of those women's lives and see a new part of who they are. you got a unique glimpse into their lives so that you can have the knowlegde that they are hopeless and be a woman who can share hope with them, though you are not necessarily talking drunkenly about sexual subjects with them.

um...yeah for snow and anything guacamole/avocado related. delish. i am glad that you get to enjoy the simple pleasures in life in your little Colorado home.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home