Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A thunderstorm birthday

If you know me, you know that I love nature and thunderstorms. This time of year in Florida is usually rampant with storms of all kinds--thunderstorms and hurricanes. Until yesterday, I didn't get a chance to experience a really good t-storm. But here is my rationality behind the amazing TWO thunderstorms I experienced yesterday.

Though I couldn't spend my birthday with friends and family back home, the Lord took special care of me (though He always does). He knows all the things I love, the things that inspire worship of Him. So yesterday all of Hernando County was hit by a HUGE thunderstorm. I sat outside under covering and watched lightning streak the sky, loud claps of thunder roll overhead, and bullets of rain shoot down in flash flooding. It was rad.

Then a friend and co-worker, Lisa, took me out to eat on the marshy bay along the Florida Coast. We ate as it poured rain and wind. She then took me to Pine Island, which is a wee little "island" on the west central coast. It was phenomenal. To the west was the Gulf of Mexico and setting sun. Underneath our feet was white sparkly sand; and behind us resided green palm trees, lush island greenery and huge blue-grey storm clouds making their way closer, rolling in ominously and majestically.

Lastly, after talking to friends and family, some singing differing versions of "happy birthday" or "hoppy birdlegs" or Charlie Brown choraling, I fell asleep peacefully.

And then. Two A.M. It hits. The loudest clap of thunder I may have ever heard. No joke, ANOTHER storm rolls in while I'm sleeping to wake me up! This time, I feel a mix of feelings. I am actually a little scared this time. I pray that we don't have a tornado. I am seriously afraid of tornados, though they are awe-inspiring. I have to say, I've never heard thunder last as long as it did. I counted the seconds to see how long one clap of thunder lasted. It was right overhead and one clap lasted 19 seconds!!!!!

God gives good gifts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home