Thursday, August 03, 2006

Children with autism

Did you know that 1 in 166 children born will be born somewhere on the autistic spectrum? Scary.

This entire week I have worked closely with one of our children at the center who is not autistic, but who has several other issues that he works through. IT IS INSANITY AT ITS BEST.

I do not want children for a LONG while, I have decided. It's quite scary. But it was interesting to hear what my co-workers said. They do not have the hope and love of Christ, and they were overwhelmed by the fear of having a child with a disorder/behavior problem. It IS scary, but I was thinking how I could share with them the hope of Christ. I didn't at that time, it wasn't right right then to go into details, but I think they were somewhat surprised by my non-fear. I mean, it's not like I gave the impression that I hoped to have a child with autism or with Down's Syndrome. But I tried to, in a non-cheesy way, talk about the love that the parents must have for their children. We all chatted about it and discussed the impact, but it was such an interesting perspective to be able to discuss and to emulate. How it is possible to live for somebody other than yourself. It's a start.

Also, Julie is cool.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tania said...

1. Hey, did you make a decision on the transfer?
2. Interesting, because I've been reading a book about autism (Evidence of Harm). Dr Weldon's office did a lot of work with autism in Congress so I thought it would be interesting - and boy it is! Don't give your children vaccines with mercury in them!

2:23 PM  
Blogger julz said...

1. thanks for the note.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home