Sunday, July 23, 2006

Afraid to be rich

Sometimes I am afraid because I am rich.

And believe me, though I may be on a low salary bracket in America, I am rich.

I AM RICH.



"Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's"-Jesus.

Jesus told us to pay our dues to the governing authorities above us. Okay. So I owe taxes, I have bills to pay for my apartment, my car, my students loans, insurance, and credit. I pay my tithe. But what was Jesus talking about here? What is "render unto God what is God's"? Is it my tithe? Is it my money? Is it my attitude at work? Is it how I spend my time with what I watch or listen to or eat or who I hang out with?

Render unto God what is God's. And what is that? It's what is His. And that's me. ME. Caesar (the government) can demand of me what it will from my finances and security. But none of those things are quite so demanding as that of God's rendering. I owe Him myself.

Sometimes I am afraid because I am rich.

Sometimes I wish that I knew how to be giving, how to be generous, how to be kind. I do not want to be rich by the measure of this world, but by the measure of Christ. My financial richness...? Yes, I work for it. I "earn" the money for these things, for the food I eat. But He is my Provider, the giver of my daily bread, because without His blessing to give me strength in my body, knowledge in my head, an ability to communicate, AIR TO BREATHE, I would have nothing. Since I render unto Him what is His...me. It's all His anyways. I should not be afraid because I am rich. I should be overwhelmed by His provision for me that I might somehow provide for others and, in so doing, bring glory to the name of Jesus.

And sometimes I am afraid because I am more poor than I think..

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash, I love this idea so much. I am learning in my line of work how truly rich and blessed I am--more so than I ever knew. I am inspired by your ideas, so much that I am going to write an article for the magazine I write for called Graphe. Thanks for saying this, it needs to be said more often. http://oikosfellowship.org/graphe/graphe_aug_06.pdf

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home