Monday, June 26, 2006

An unfathomable grace, what does it mean?

There's nothing we can do to make God love us more.

And there's nothing we can do to make God love us less.

I am coming to realize these words of Philip Yancey in a way I have never before. I compromise myself, sin, and am often fully hypocritical. And while I am quick to confess (often because my guilt is too much to bear, not because I recognize my disobedience to God), I am often unable to forgive myself. Such is the plea of many of us.

But if we can't make God love us less...aren't we loved by God as much as the "worst" sinners are loved by God? If Christ did not die for the worst of us, if his grace is unable to cover the worst of sinners, how can it ever cover me and you? I am the worst of sinners. Though I quote Paul here, I admit it of myself as well.

"We love God only as much as we love our worst enemies." And sometimes, it seems, that "worst enemy" is ourself.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is unfathomable because it's circular. like you said we dont deserve it at all, yet, simultaneously, how could we NOT deserve it from the Lord? aye, confusing. when people say that His grace is enough or it's sufficient, that's crazy because sometimes i am the worst sinner. i feel so inadequate and so unworth and undeserving of the blessings and love the Lord gives me, yet i should not be so foolish as to turn from that grace that He offers so freely. crazy.

i'm so glad that book is worth reading for you.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home