Sunday, August 20, 2006

A call to salvation, heresy or truth? Or part-and-part?

I have seen a pattern developing in my own life that I am learning to regulate. There is no question of whether or not I am passionate about what I believe concerning Christ. But in my passion, I have begun to be very "black and white" about faith. I am trying to find a balance, a non-hypocritical balance.

Faith is not emotion-based (I say that as a precursor because, while faith does affect our emotions, it is not emotion-based). See, I am so tired of seeing and hearing about a faith-less Christianity, a Christianity that requires no sacrifice, no need to "count the cost" of what it means to follow Jesus. Even today in church the pastor gave an invitation to salvation (which is awesome and is my favorite time of the service), but his preface to knowing Jesus was this, "Believe in Jesus today so that tomorrow, if you die, you know you will go to heaven." (Did he describe it all, is my question to you.)

What is that? I mean, is that it? Is that what we've boiled Christianity down to? (Of course, I know that there is so much more, and the Spirit of God works to draw people to Him, I am just trying to make a point here.) I think we see so many people in the American church who "backslide" because we have made the message of salvation "nice." I don't want to follow something that's just "nice," I follow somebody who is vigorous, grueling, passionate, truth-based, costly, loving, and just. I mean, this is the God of the universe. And we boil it down to: "say you believe in Jesus so that you can go to heaven when you die." Wow. I mean, that statement is true, we will go to heaven only through faith in Christ Jesus, but, to me, Christianity is not about "going to heaven" anymore, because I know I'll be with Jesus one day, it's about loving my God and Savior, and doing His work.

I want to hear a salvation call that sounds like this: "As the Spirit is working on your heart even now, you have a choice before you that is a matter of life and death. Confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead. In these two things, in these two convictions and confessions, you are professing that Jesus is Lord. Jesus is Lord, not just generally, but Lord of your life, and you are bringing your life before Him, professing His Lordship over you. God is a loving God, and He is also just. He has chosen that only through loving belief in and obedience to Jesus may a man or woman be saved. Devote yourself--mind, body, heart, soul, and spirit--to Jesus, the Son of God, and know God's forgiveness, love, and eternal life."

Honestly, after writing and re-reading this, I think I sound judgmental. And honestly, I think most people in their own personal lives would agree with what I wrote above: that they too know that there is more to Christianity.

But I wonder. How much is it our responsibility to get the message right when we preach in front?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home