Sunday, February 26, 2006

A time of transforming

Last night, I got ready for bed, pulled back the covers, read my Bible, and talked to the Lord. Things were "going well," but not really. I hate the feeling I get when I am just going through the motions and my heart is unaffected--essentially, when I'm not really placing myself before God in true worship and repentance. So I started reading in Isaiah, beginning in chapter 30. I read a lot of "Woe to such and such nation" and "Therefore, the Holy One of Israel says," and whatnot, and I began to realize just how easily I too fall from the Holy One, how quickly I trust in other gods and in other men. And I began truly to repent. Often I am poor in joy because I am not content in God.

As I thought and talked to Him, and continued reading on, I came upon a couple of verses that seriously caused me to stop. I re-read them at least 5 times. "How gracious he will be when you cry for help. As soon as he hears, he will answer you" (30.19).

But it didn't stop there. I continued reading and came to the verse that will stick with me always. I will remember it because I will turn to the right and left at times. It says, "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, 'This is the way; walk in it'" (30.21).

I can trust that gentle, sure, quiet voice. And I trust this promise: "This is the way. Walk in it." All I know is that God is faithful and gracious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home