Wednesday, February 15, 2006

What's past is passed.

"Past," as defined by my Webster's Pocket Dictionary, means: "former or prior, gone by; a former time or event."

"Passed" is the past tense form of the verb pass, which means: "to move by or beyond; to transfer."

So, Dick Cheney accidentally shot his friend. It is in the past, and he and his friend, time-wise, are beyond the actual event of the shooting. However, obviously, the event has had a lasting impact on both of the men; neither will ever be the same again. But they also are not defined by the past alone, are they? It has made and will help make them who they are today, but it does not mean that today or tomorrow are dictated by what has been only. It has passed. Granted, some of the affects may last a lifetime.

Are we new creatures or are we not? "You were taught [...] to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness" (Eph. 4.23). This is not meant to be a "devotional." It is the truth. Or am I wrong? I want to know the truth no matter what else anybody says. Wow, but how do you reconcile the past without dwelling on it? Can a person do it on her own? I don't mean this blog to be anything personal, but I have just been thinking about this concept. How do I reconcile the fact that I have believed a lie about myself for most of my life without letting it dominate me and crush me today? Maybe this is what the Bible talks about in renewing our minds daily. I am a new creation. I am whole. I am the Lord's. I am righteous by the covering of the Lord. My mind is Christ's. Wow, I just have to believe these things.

3 Comments:

Blogger Prince Phillip said...

It's not A or B, but C.

A: Holding onto the past.
B: Forgetting the past.
C: Grace.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

That is very true. I have the hardest time extending grace to myself, even though I know that the Lord does and that most other people do too. I just can't seem to believe it, but I know I have to. You know what I mean?

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is something i will and do have to deal with everyday as a counselor. the past has a great influence on who we are, but it does not have to determine who we are TODAY. what matters is our perception of ourselves in the "here and now," not what we felt in the past, but what we feel now. that is who we are today and that so often means that we have been given grace so that our past does not haunt our every move, thank goodness. if we were not extended grace...wow, there would be a lot of miserable people out there.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home