Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Just a quick additive...

Have you ever heard of the man St. Augustine? I have, but I've never known who he was or what he did or why we remember him. Why is he so important?

Interesting fact, he was born a native to Africa in 354 A.D. and taught as a rhetorical orator, educated under the Roman and Greek systems of rhetoric. He converted to the Christian faith in 386 and decided eventually to use his rhetorical skills to evaluate the purpose behind why Christians preach, which is to win converts. From the book I am reading about St. Augustine, the following sentence jumps out at me, coming from an early convert of the faith.

"One's life has persuasive force, he argues, so that action 'as a flowing speech' can win people to the faith."

Nowadays we often forget about St. Augustine's (and ultimately Christ's) call to live our faith, to persuade from our lives. I'm glad that this Augustine fellow just reminded me of that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home