Thursday, February 02, 2006

Dr. MLK


"There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love."
~Martin Luther King, Jr. -From "Letter from Birmingham Jail," April 16, 1963

How true this statement is. As I was looking up information on Black History Month today, I stumbled across some infamous quotes given by Dr. King, and this is the quote that struck me the hardest.

Not only is it from deep love where we can find the deepest disappointment, but from which we can find the deepest satisfaction and joy too.

If one has experienced or is experiencing deep disappointment, does that mean it is a result of deep love? I have never considered such an idea. My gut instinct says it's true.


It also makes me think of the final words in King Lear by the man who realizes that not speaking one's heart results in death: "Speak what we feel, not what we aught to say."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home