Friday, January 27, 2006

What is my calling?

Today in chapel I was broken. Thank you to my friends for being there and supporting me.

We watched a video of the ravaging impact of AIDS on so many people throughout Africa--of so many women and children and men too. Children who have retracted AIDS through birth or by being raped. Human trafficking is attached to the AIDS epidemic too. Lord, deliver us!

I want to help. I want to work in medical missions. Yeah. I am an English Major. I know that I am called to missions, and today, I felt something stir up in me that I've repressed for a long time. I don't know if it's just a dream, but to work as a healthcare provider in such a country is what I want to do. I want to teach too.

It was hard today because I don't know what I'm supposed to do now. Do I pursue teaching? Do I go to more school and, essentially, start over? Do I pursue the medical field? What has the Lord really called me to? What do I really want? And wow, Lord, I need guidance and financial provision. This is a scary time of life. If I could, after I graduate, I would love to start right away into some kind of medical profession. If it be toward nursing or pre-med. I would work so hard. Man, so many dreams! :)

Oh, and exciting news, I have been accepted into the JET Program (teaching English in Japan). I now face 2 interview processes, and if I pass those, then Japan, here I come! And so maybe I just need to get some experience overseas. I can always come back and enter programs too. Maybe my dreams and aspirations will be clearer then.

What does the Lord have next? The Lord only knows! I am glad about one thing though; in the midst of uncertainty, I am glad that no matter where I am in life, or how uncertain the future looks, that the Lord is always faithful and always present. My calling to live for his glory and to share the Good News will never change, no matter what the "future" looks like. Our callings are all the same in that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tania said...

Are you serious? I didn't even know! Why didn't you tell me! I'm so proud of you ASH! I knew it would happen! Congrats!

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash, i love your heart. It's so tender and strong. Again, i can't tell you how proud of you getting in to the program, and i'm still going to come visit you if you get it. Overall, it's hard to deny the call of helping people. It's always interesting when it hits us harder at one point than another. Keep up being sensitive. Love you!

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home