Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Positive criticism

Positive criticism is possible. Or is it?

Let me get down to the basics. What is most important to me in whatever I do?

1. To represent and serve Christ.

Okay, well, since representing Christ is my motivating factor in all that I do (or it should be), then every other venue I work in should fall after this first goal. Right? Representing Christ means to act out of love for the purpose of showing the Lord and sharing the Good News.

I still want to critique some things, though, like how tuition is going up $2500 next year, and how the RAs don't get paid enough, etc. How do I critique in a loving way that represents Christ and in an effective way that allows for change? Should we as Christians (who are to submit to authority) even protest against the authorities above us? If we do, what should it look like? I do not want to gossip or complain. I want to develop solutions to problems, to bring freedom to the oppressed. There are greater problems than raised tuition costs, but if I can't learn how to effectively develop solutions AS I REPRESENT CHRIST in small things (and still be loving even if I don't get "my way"), how will I learn how to do so in the "real world," or on the mission field? Yes, by the mercy of God, that's for sure. But also by patience and humbleness.

I cannot forget that it is NOT my solution that is the best. It's not about me, that's for sure. I cannot forget that representing Christ is most important. Even if I get ripped off. Now, I'm not advocating passivity, I'm advocating that our most important calling is to represent Christ and what He stands for (even if it means "getting ripped off"). It's really not about me. I will stand for what He stands for: justice, mercy, righteousness, freedom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home