Thursday, December 22, 2005

Intelligent Design...

So, it has been ruled as a violation of the Constitution for a teacher to even mention a theory that suggests divine creation in a public school. It is a violation of the separation of church and state.

Why is it a violation, exactly? Is it because the term "divine" connotes God, the supernatural, a Being outside of humanity? I don't know that I agree that it is a violation of the Constitution. I was raised in a public school, and I think, as of right now, that I will one day want my kids to attend public schools too. I remember learning about evolution in biology, which is fine. I want to learn about it. The same as I want to learn about other theories of creation too...all the theories. So why is this theory of "Intelligent Design" discredited as even being mentionable due to the mere fact that it is a belief? Evolution is a belief. Darwinism is a belief. Divine creation is a belief.

It comes down to definition. Belief is another way of saying "religion" if we include any aspect of what could be seen as God.

The question is then: Is "Intelligent Design" as a theory really a violation of the Constitution? Note that I italicized "as a theory"--that is key.

1 Comments:

Blogger Prince Phillip said...

But Ash... "God" is a myth! Why should science, which is based on logic, teach "God"? Only stupid people would defy logic and put their faith in God. (playing devil's advocate)

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home