Wednesday, December 14, 2005

What is Christmas all about anyways?

Christmas. It's a holiday that most people love for the reasons that we get gifts, can give gifts, spend time with family and friends, and get some time off of work and/or school. I like Christmas for all of those reasons too! I love walking through malls all decorated in white lights and snowflakes, watching people holding hands and enjoying life, seeing children's eyes glitter in joy at the lights and presents, and eating delicious meals with family. Christmas gives us the time to remember what life is about: people (be those people family, friends, or strangers).

Christmas. It's a holiday that I used to love for only the reasons stated above. But 5 years ago as of this past November I learned that I need help, I need saving. A month later, I celebrated the first Christmas that meant something more than family and friends to me, it meant redemption, it meant hope, it meant Jesus.

Jesus, the Savior. Emmanuel, meaning "God with us." Prince of Peace. The Light of the world.

I celebrate Christmas now for the original reason why it became a holiday--not only to love family and friends, but to acknowledge that the world needs saving, and that Jesus came in power to save it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home