Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Feminism...a Re-defining

Quite often as of late I have gotten into great conversations with people about feminism. Especially in Christian circles, feminism is often viewed as the extremist, man-hating, pro-homosexual woman who won't and/or can't figure out what it means to be female, to be feminine, so she essentially strips both women and men of either's gender traits and tries to either make all men evil or ignore all men. I want to set the record straight for all of the past women and men alike who have fought for the rights and human equality of women. Such extremism is not feminism, it is called womanism. "Womanism," to me, is simply another cover-up for women to oppress men. Womanism is wrong because it calls for such an extreme belief to the point that love is no longer valued, really, is no longer an option.

I am a feminist in the sense as I define as follows. Feminism in the true sense of the word believes that women have souls and can be saved. It believes that women should have the same availability for opportunity as men, but it does not ask that standards must change. For example, if a woman wants a job position that requires brute strength, and she does not reach that standard, then she should not get the job. I am not saying that a woman should get whatever job she wants, but she should at least have the freedom to try. Feminism says that women should have an equal right to vote and should be protected by the same laws and principles by which men are protected. The terrorism in the Middle East that oppresses women does not protect its women, it enslaves and dominates them.

In my definition of feminism, I realize that some women and men are highly uncomfortable with the word "feminism," especially, as I already commented, in the Christian church. I do believe that God has created man and woman to love and submit to one another. I will submit out of love and trust and respect for my husband one day, and I believe that he will in turn do the same for me. Today in society, I believe that due to feminism that has gotten out of hand and turned into womanism, that not only are women confused as to their identities, but so too are men. I am not being all-inclusive in my statement, but in general, the natural roles that God has created in men and women have been challenged to such a degree that what is natural (and I am not saying that oppression and subservience are natural) has been deemed unnatural. Masculinity and femininity are often seen as "violence" and "promiscuity," respectively. Neither is true. How can we get back to what it means to be masculine and feminine? I believe we must examine in humility the truth of Scripture.

You see, submission (a word that we all have a problem with because we are all prideful) is what we are all called to do--to submit to one another out of love and reverence. Am I wrong? If I am, I pray that the Lord correct and teach me. If not, I pray that he give others the ability to live in love, putting others first. Help me to do so too, o Lord. It is never easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home