Tuesday, November 14, 2006

So here it is. 4:45pm. Just got off work, hungry, and hoping to find a seamstress to hem my new work pants that I got from the Tall Girl store last weekend. I pull out the business card, turn it over, and slowly dial the number on back. "Hello?" I drill the lady about her professionalism in hemming (like I know anything about hemming) and, finally convinced, let her know I'll be over at her place in 10 minutes. I put on my pants, put some sweats in my purse, slip on my heels and a heavy jacket, and head out the door--I definitely do NOT match.

5:00pm. I arrive at her house. Bear comes up to the door and jumps on my legs when the door opens--he is a sweet, though ugly, poodle (I don't like poodles). I enter the humble house that has bears in every nook and cranny.

An older lady answers the door, and I hear a man's voice in the background yelling "Bear! Get off of her!" I look and see an older man reclining in a chair, the news on Fox.

For the next 45 minutes, after the lady has measured my pants, I've changed, and am ready to go for an hour before she's finished, the man (John) talks my ear off. He says he's taken by me. He's about 40 years older. But I come to find out he means it in a friendly way--he is the pastor of a Church of God church in town.

I'm ready to head out the door to wait at the coffee shop until the lady finishes, and before I leave, John calls out, "Would you like to go to dinner with us when you get back?" I don't know what to say (because I really haven't eaten yet and I'm starving), so I say "sure."

I leave, come back at 6:15pm, retrieve my pants (which look GREAT), and we head off to Diggers, the infamous Brush trucker restaurant. I don't get home until 9:15pm. We ate, talked, and talked some more. We talked about the Lord, and I was again reminded about how very little I know about the Bible. He had a few points that were highly interesting to me, and I am going to study up on in the Bible.

As we were finally leaving the restaurant, his wife gave me a hug, and John called out again, "You know, this was the Lord's plan that we met you."

I drove away praising the Lord, and somewhat mystified.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ginger said...

Sometimes we come in contact with people who at once befuddle us and bless us. I'm glad that you had such a unique evening. It's the little events, like this, that make life so interesting and full. I hope that you enjoy your nicely hemmed pants and I look forward to hearing about more little events like this. :)

1:12 PM  
Blogger Dulcinator said...

ash, that's so cool that you met another christian couple in town. that must have been exciting, encouraging, and unexpected. they sound really sweet. i am also quite glad that you now have hemmed "tall girl" pants.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As we get older, sometimes God has to send us a young person, who is full of sweetness and promise, to remind us that HE is alive and our future is full of hope. I'll bet you blessed these people.

Yeah - Stacy gets to wear her new pants!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

Is it okay to just tell you that I'm smiling? I've decided I don't like leaving comments.

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home