Friday, November 17, 2006

It bugs me...

I used to say it all the time, "Oh my God!" And I meant it in the sense of exclamation or outburst that results from frustration or surprise or anger.

Now, I hate it when God's name is used in this way. It doesn't just bug me, it hurts me. It makes me cringe on the inside to hear it.

I don't know if that is what it means "to take the Lord's name in vain," but even if it doesn't, it still hurts because it is a saying that belittles God. It doesn't glorify him. However, the only way I see it being okay is in serious supplication to the Lord, "Oh, my GOD," where the name of God is respectfully and honorably spoken.

In confessing, I have said it on accident a few times NOT in a respectful way since coming to know the Lord. And seriously, when I have ever found myself saying that phrase, or any others like it (cause there are many), I have immediately asked the Lord to forgive me...because I remember my grandma telling me about saying the Lord's name in such a belittling manner. I haven't ever forgotten the lesson she taught me.

I'm not saying this out of a self-righteous kind of attitude, I just really hate hearing those types of phrases. Especially from Christians. I hear it a lot in the workplace. When I hear it there, it just reminds me to pray for people, and to make sure that while others aren't glorifying him, that I AM glorifying him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home