Sunday, January 08, 2006

A hate crime

What is a hate crime? Today, the pastor of the church that I attended proposed that if the U.S. legalizes homosexual marriages, then the belief that homosexuality is immoral will legally be termed as "a hate crime," and will thus be illegal.

Can we equate the homosexual battle with racism? Is it the same thing? Some people argue that it is. I personally do not think so. Homosexuality, just like adultery and/or heterosexuality and/or celebacy, are all activities that we can choose. Our race is not something we choose.

As a Christian, however, I want to apologize, for myself and for Christians in general, for those remarks and/or actions that have not been done in love toward others, in particular toward those practicing homosexuality. Just because I do not agree with the practice does not mean that I do not love the person. In fact, in Christ there is freedom from sin. In Christ, God extends his love and mercy and grace to us, to all people, regardless of our past or where we are in the present, and asks that we accept Christ and walk in the decrees that he has given for our own good and for his glory. Often homosexuality is posited as "worse" than other activities. But a sin is a sin. We were born into it. When we repent and accept Christ as Lord, our sins (all of them) are forgotten and are as far as the east is from the west. Christians need to remember that we are all sinners. What separates us is merely that we have accepted the forgiveness of God through the blood of Jesus Christ. Blood that has been extended to all of mankind. Out of such humility we must act and speak.

As a Christian, for whoever reads this, to the best of my ability and by the grace of God, I will stand up for what I believe in, but I will never act out of malice or hatred toward anybody. Forgive me, because I will fail. But I strive to love out of God's love, no matter what. If people hate me for what I believe, then I pray that God will bless them and draw them to Him. My calling is to love, forgiveness, and reconciliation, no matter what is said or done to me. My life is not my own, but Christ's.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i understand what you are saying and i believe what the bible says about homosexuality being a sin, but i dont think that people really understand what it is until they know someone well who is gay. i have an aunt and an uncle who are gay. i honestly dont blame my aunt for being gay. i could explain that to you later, but for the reason that i think she is, i feel she needs healing from the lord in a powerful way. people try to say you are born being gay, there's a gay gene, and all sorts of things. really, i think it is a choice of lifestyle and feelings, just like we choose to like men, i guess. there are a lot of things i could explain since i have witnessed gay people all my life that are close to me. i feel that you can think anything you want about homosexuality and formulate all of the opinions you want, but until you have a friend or family member who you know is gay, it's pretty hard to be accurate in those thoughts or opinions without firsthand knowledge.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

I agree. I even think it's probably hard to be accurate in thought or opinion unless you've actually participated in homosexuality. I've known and do know homosexuals. The key in being a Christian is to speak life, unadulterated and uncompromised LIFE. It's in the Word of God.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

You know, I've been thinking about this topic for a while and I THINK I've come to a conclusion - basically a working conclusion. Ok, so I have a hypothetical question (aside from this topic - I'm really confused about when to use "a" or "an" when using a word that starts with "h." For example, I've seen in scholarly journals "history" with an "an" before it. Can you provide some insight?) if as Christians we are to place all on an equal playing field, or if we value fairness, equality, and allowing people to have the same rights (if these are Christian values at all), then wouldn't it be worthy to allow those individuals that hold to homosexuality to have the same rights as those who are straight? Can't Christians further their cause regardless of restrictions on marriage? Can't the power of God supercede the hate crime? Can't God's love, exemplified through Christians, supercede restrictions on homosexuals?
While I can't say that I am completely against the lawful marriage of homosexuals, and I can't say that I am for the lawful marriage of homosexuals, I am in the middle.
I think that the New Testament's fulfillment of the Old allows us to see that often times the love of God can greatly outweigh the restrictions that are placed on us.
While I'm not sure that gay marriage can be placed into this category, I do feel that it requires second thought. Or third.

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well said, tania. i do not agree with christians so hatefully pushing their political agenda on the rest of the world when they are in fact "the world" and should not be expected to behave as christians are called to do.
this brings up interesting thoughts though...if we legalize things that the bible does not permit, then we can allow murder along with homosexual marriage. not that the two are on the same playing field, but i hope someone gets my drift. i dont know what the crap i think, but for goodness sake, dont preach politics...preach jesus.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home