Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Discrimination

As I said 2 blogs ago, the pastor at the church I attended this last Sunday encouraged the church to take action and write to our state Senator in order to vote AGAINST HB 1515, which is up in the State Senate for a revote during the 2006 Legislative Session.

So, being me, I decided to look into why we "shouldn't" vote in support of HB 1515. First of all, I asked myself, what is HB 1515? What is it saying. You should find out and read it for yourself.

The url to the bill is http://www.leg.wa.gov/pub/billinfo/2005-06/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1515.pdf

I want to discuss this bill with others. I am leaning much more heavily, after having read the bill, toward voting in support of HB 1515 because this bill is not advocating or legalizing gay marriage, as I have been led to believe. It says that employers/credit unions/property renters/etc should not be able to discriminate against people based on their sexual orientation. As a Christian, I do not think that we should discriminate, period. My question is this: Should it be the U.S. government that enforces anti-discrimination laws? To me, if it is, then since HB 1515 asks that no person be disciminated against based on their sexual orientation, in addition to race, age, creed, sex, etc, then I may in fact be in support of HB 1515. I don't know. I am still working it out. I am against legalizing gay marriages. But I am not against anti-discrimination laws. Tell me what you think.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dislike it when pastors tell people what to vote for, what party they should be, or what to support politically. it never sits right with me. i am not sure if it is even biblical to preach political views. that rubs me the wrong way that he told you to support something and lead you to believe the bill was something that it was not. i am proud that you researched. most people blindly follow their pastors as if he/she is god. let's have a brain of our own, people!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Prince Phillip said...

First off, pastor Hutchinson (nick-named "The Hutch" by Rush Limbaugh) dislikes it when people say he is being political. He would rather people describe his actions as "moral." Hutch's belief is that morality provided by the Lord should pervade every aspect of our lives... personal, family, and nationally. He believes Christians should work within the system they abide in to bring forth good morals, which are defined by the Bible.

HB 1515 would equate sexual orientation with race and gender. To the majority of evangelical Christians, one man is to be with one woman, thus any other form of sexuality is immoral. This bill, which I think will eventually be passed, would provide precedent in court cases could make saying "homosexuality is a sin" illegal. It's already happened in Canada. You can't preach legally from a pulpit in Canada saying, "Homosexuality is a sin" because a similar bill was passed in the Canadian parliament written very similar to HB 1515.

When you can't win a big issue, such as legalizing homosexuality, you chip away at it. HB 1515 is a chip which will make my beliefs a hate crime. I don't support it.

Dulcy... I'm all for enacting my morals into every sphere of influence I can. I believe that is what I am called to do. Sometimes the average Joe doesn't know squat about what issues would render his/her beliefs illegal. A pastor who is on top of issues politically is only taking care of his flock. Did you know only 20% of Christians vote? I believe the numbers are so low because many pastors are afraid to make tough stands, like Hutch is doing. Pastors that believe in such a policy do not force people to go to their church or agree with what they support politically. Everyone has free will to disagree and find a church where they can trust the pastor.

I don't agree with Hutch in everything, but I admire his tenacity and am inspired by his resolve.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Prince Phillip said...

I read the bill. Here's a circumstance. I can find more if you need them.

According to page 12, lines 4-8 of HB 1515, a church would not be able to exclude homosexuals proporting a biblically immoral lifestyle from being members of their church.

Tell me if I'm reading this wrong.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Ash said...

P.Phillip--thank you for pointing out the specific instance in lines 4-8 of page 12 of the bill. Like I said, I am trying to figure this out, not trying to attack anybody. I am uncertain of my stance on this bill--some parts I agree with, others I don't.

Also, I don't like it when anybody from the pulpit TELLS people what to do without adequate explanation, which is where I agree with you, Dulc. I too really like Pastor Hutchinson, and have a high regard and respect for him, and he encouraged me to be more involved politically. But I still want myself and other people to think for themselves. To research, to study, to make educated and prayerful decisions that they come to, not that is imposed upon them. I'm not saying what he did was "political," but at the same time, it was. Not a big deal. I trust him. At least he has the courage to talk about something that is a hot issue in politics. More pastors need to. It affects us and the world in which we live.

I need help and ask for your grace as I work through my own thinking.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Prince Phillip said...

If I come off as combative, it's probably because I am... because my blood boils a lot. I'm bombastic when I type.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home